Complete your degree at UMassD
UMass Dartmouth’s Bachelor of Political Science offers students the opportunity to develop an understanding of political institutions and processes in a global community. This program prepares students for careers in law, business, international associations, government, and nonprofit organizations.
UMass Dartmouth Bachelor of Political Science students must earn 120 credits to graduate.
Thanks to our generous transfer policy, students with existing credits can transfer up to 75 credits from a regionally accredited institution.
Students must complete a 3-credit internship as part of the course work. The internship institution/location can be chosen by the student and must be approved by the Department of Political Science.
Students in Bachelor of Political Science:
- Develop research skills
- Access, understand and synthesize professional and popular writings on public affairs
- Formulate and analyze arguments
- Assess the relevance and weight of evidence
- Organize their ideas into targeted articles and presentations
Through this program of study, students learn to read critically, write clearly, and communicate effectively through argument, analysis, exposition, and oral presentation.
We offer a concentration within our major aimed at preparing you for law school. You will focus on courses emphasizing the law and the courts, both in the American political system and in international political systems.
For the concentration, you will complete 39 credit hours and 120 credit hours in total.
Examples of course offerings
Examples of political science courses offered: (course offerings are subject to change):
- Public policy in America
- Constitutional law
- Civil liberties and rights
- Political parties and interest groups
- women and public policy
- Public administration
Graduates have a solid foundation to pursue a variety of careers or advanced degrees in areas such as:
- Non-profit organizations
- International associations
UMass Dartmouth Advanced Degrees
Benefits of UMass Dartmouth
Customize your training and receive help and guidance to complete as planned:
- UMassD Online Bachelor‘s Degree Program Ranked #7 in the Nation by Choice of college for the most affordable online colleges
- Value and Affordability of a UMass Education
- Generous transfer policy
- Personalized guidance from enrollment to graduation
- Free online and in-person tutoring and writing center
Learning style: online
Online courses are delivered by UMass Dartmouth faculty to provide high-quality instruction and personal attention. Students have the flexibility to accommodate work and family responsibilities within the structure of set homework due dates.
- Honors College: Take advanced courses, pursue your research, and become part of a community of scholars
- Study Abroad: Earn academic credits and get a global perspective on your field
- Undergraduate research: faculty work with students on cutting-edge research projects
- University studies: benefit from a broad university education to deepen your knowledge and skills